Robins and blackbirds singing a duet, a slow buzzing of a bumble, lawn mowers humming in the distance ; a truly summer setting. My bus ride back from town skirted past a fast receding tide of azure blue sea. Lunch sat in the garden soaking up the sun.
Hard to believe how a week can change. Easter was truly memorable for how wet it was. Youngest returned from climbing the highest mountain in England (Scafell Pike) to say they were defeated by the snow in the final 200 metres. His photos look good though. I don’t think I would have admitted not making the last tiny climb :) Middle son is enjoying his road trip down highway 101 and we're finishing off the Easter eggs.
Life in Jersey has come to a grinding standstill. The odd occasion I foolishly get into my car, I spend fuming at traffic lights. Easter seems to be the time to mend a myriad of holes in the road, while the school children are on holiday. Along one short stretch I counted eight small holes. Almost as if they had lost something. Or maybe they’re test pits for an archaeological dig. The worst stretch is between our house and my son's. I’m on fish feeding duty while he’s away so a short five minute journey has doubled. Not to worry I usually walk if I can.
I managed my walk round my butterfly field the other day. Not a butterfly in sight not surprisingly. The skies were leaden, temperature around 10° and a force 5. But at least I’ve had my training and now know where to walk. The lady that organises the butterfly monitoring is lovely. Softly spoken and Irish. I envy her job. Imagine being paid to organise monitoring nature. Beats teaching any day! Hopefully with warmer weather tomorrow I’ll have more luck for my first real visit.
Monty Don will be pleased with me today. My afternoon has been spent weeding and admiring my newly emerged seeds. All is looking good so far. The garden suddenly feels as if it’s about to erupt. I’m trying not to get too excited because we will no doubt be back to single digit temperatures by next week.
Well I’m off to cook a pot of chilli, although looking at the sky perhaps I should be persuading my other half to fire up the bbq. Maybe not, that really would bring on the blizzards. Hopefully you are in the throes of warmer weather too.
Barbara xxx

0 Yorumlar